What sexist trope in manga bothers you the most?
Patronizing "but you're a girl!" statement
Objectification
Falling in love with their rapist
"All women are..."
Sexual assault/rape portrayed as a joke
Harassment is okay because she's "playing hard to get"
Damsel in distress
Girl solely exists to be a love interest
Jealous, vain, and/or cruel fangirls
Madonna/whore dichotomy
What? Sexism still exists?

Piano no Mori
by barbapapa on October 27th, 2006, 3:21am

Rating - 9.6 / 10.0

User rating of this review - 5 out of 5
Story/Plot - 5 out of 5
Drawing Style - 4 out of 5
Overall - 5 out of 5

Plot/Story
This story, like many of Makoto Isshiki's works, is a real slice of life/coming of age type of story. With in the center 2 young boys trying to struggle through school, expectations and downfalls. Filled with hope and insecurity, the young Amamiya-kun transfers to his new school. But things already go awry soon when he gets picked on by his classmates, ending up in a dare to play the spooky "Piano in the Forest" at the edge of town. That is, before our other protagonist shows up and puts a stop to this. A mysterious blonde boy, that goes by the name of Ichinose Kai steps up to the plate...

Characters
The characters are probably the strongest asset in this manga. The mangaka is known to set up misfortunate situations for his main characters; like how Kai is the son of a prostitute. His characters are never flat and 2-dimensional; they feel like real people with real feelings. And the interaction between them is usually very interesting to observe.

Nothing spectacular, but Makoto Isshiki has a very simple, clean style which isnt lacking in any way. Character's emotions are portrayed very well. It may look more child-like for a seinen series; but it is without a doubt a book for people with a ripe mind.

Enjoyment
There's a lot to get out of it; even though I believe Hanada Shonen-shi is even better because it has more comedy in it. Commit to a different kind of manga, and you'll be pleasantly surprised, and I hope, even touched by this special series.

Overall
Well, what's left to say? I adore this manga, and I even went as far to revive the group that used to work on it so it wouldn't die an anonymous death.

^ ^ by perpetual on November 26th, 2010, 10:41pm Rating: 5

Just want to say: Great review

No Subject by geeza on June 9th, 2008, 3:40am Rating: 5

umm this story is amazing, i must tell you. This one is one of the most waited manga in my country

Love it by Eeled on October 21st, 2007, 2:26pm Rating: 5

Great review, I absolutely love teh manga : ) Kai <3

great review by ranmaru on August 9th, 2007, 4:16pm Rating: 5

i completely agree with you smile this is one of the best out there!

No Subject by kevinkgood on July 24th, 2007, 10:27pm Rating: 5

Very nice review. Sure convinced me to try it. Shall be my next manga series to read.