Which operating system are you using on your main computer?
Windows
Apple (Mac, Rhapsody, etc)
Linux

Story/Plot - 4.5 out of 5
Characters - 4.7 out of 5
Drawing Style - 5 out of 5
Enjoyment - 4.4 out of 5
Overall - 4.6 out of 5

Plot/Story: 4.5/5
Hikaru is a 6th grade student who comes across a Go board in his grandfatherís shed that is haunted by the spirit of an expert Go player, Sai. For lack of a better word, Sai ďteleportsĒ into Hikaruís mind, and Sai uses Hikaruís body to play Go games for him. Though soon enough Hikaru gets interested and learns to play himself.

Hikaru joins a Go Club, gains friends who also share an interest in Go, gains a rival (Akira), competes in tournaments, and tries to become an Insei. The story has many different arcs and plot twists that keep Hikaru no Go fresh and exciting from beginning to end.

Characters: 4.7/5
Hikaru starts off as your average snotty child. Though as he ages and his passion for Go grows, he matures as well. Sai (the spirit who lives in Hikaru) is probably the highlight of the manga. Akira Toya is Hikaruís rival, and the majority of the manga revolves around Hikaru wanting to play Go with Akira. Akari (the female lead of HNG) is Hikaruís childhood friend, who later learns to play Go as well. Many more characters are introduced throughout Hikaru No Goís 23 volume run. One of the best parts of the manga is watching the characters grow and mature over the years (HNG takes place in a several year time-span).

Drawing Style: 5/5
Takeshi Obataís drawing in Hikaru no Go is nothing short of brilliant. The characters never lack detail, the environments look realistic, but whatís most amazing is the slight aging in the characters. There are no significant time skips in the manga, and for the most part, it goes by day-by-day (or week-by-week). The manga spans several years, and there is slight physical changes in the characterís appearances thatís so natural you may not even notice it. As soon as you finish reading the manga, go back and re-read the first chapter, itíll amaze you.

Enjoyment: 4.4/5
At first I didnít think I would enjoy it because the manga revolves around Go. Go is a game I have no interest in and wouldnít want to play, yet I still loved the manga. Though because a large chunk of the manga is watching the Go games, that may turn some people off from Hikaru no Go.

Overall: 4.6/5
Hikaru no Go is superb - in my opnion itís one of the best shonen manga around. At a lengthy run of 23 volumes, it never gets boring, and should be read in its entirety. I highly recommend Hikaru no Go.

Great review, I agree. by kujika on November 6th, 2011, 8:20am Rating: 5

The ending was perfect if you see the plot in a message-driven kind of way. Sai had to disappear because otherwise Hikaru would have always staid in his shadow.

The message in all this was (I think): the past teaches the present and the present teaches the future. Without the past (Sai) the present (Hikaru) would never have been able to discover his true potential, but now the present has to go their own way - while the past still lingers and supports (Hikaru found Sai again in his own playing).

The hand of god is merely a symbol for the endless drive and potential people have, so it would have been contraproductive for anyone to achieve it.

From a crazy fan of Sai by ho nga on August 20th, 2007, 1:27am Rating: 5

I love Sai. He's really a nice ghost. I wish he hadn't gone away. This detail in the story made me feel dispointed I think i can never see him again. after that i cotinued reading and found that it's the reason that Hikaru go on his dream to become a professional chess-player. Sai, Hikaru, Touya , Waya, Isumi never gave up their mind. Despite any difficult they 'll go on now and forever.... They 'll alwats in my heart now and forever... I hope noone wgo read this story will never forget this ..

No Subject by xmonster on June 24th, 2007, 8:14pm Rating: 5

let down by the ending? no way! HnG's is the best ending I've ever read! If it went on till Hikaru got the Hand of God that would be too boring and too ordinary to boost (anyway, had anyone ever got that, including Sai?). The story stopped when it should and gave room for readers' imagination as to what comes next. I'm surprised cuz u found it a letdown!

.... by ares6 on June 22nd, 2007, 7:49pm Rating: 5

It was too sudden.....too sudden. I mean, for God sake, the kid didn't even achieve the Hand of God yet...

No Subject by Takiko on June 22nd, 2007, 12:59pm Rating: 3

I'm sort of surprised you didn't feel let down by the ending, because I know many were disappointed with that ending. But maybe after what happens with Sai, it's really hard to enjoy Hikaru's Go walk alone. sad