For a really long, ongoing series, you prefer to
Keep reading since you're already so invested
Keep reading as long it's good
After a certain point, just stop and wait for it to finish then read the entire thing at once
Just give up reading after a certain point

Gakuen Alice
by Plaiid-Tiisue on July 20th, 2007, 12:57pm

Rating - 9.4 / 10.0

User rating of this review - 3.33 out of 5
Story/Plot - 5 out of 5
Drawing Style - 4.5 out of 5
Overall - 5 out of 5

Gakuen Alice by Higuchi Tachibana is the story of a girl named Mikan Sakura who follows her best friend, Hotaru Imai, to a supernatural school for children geniuses. Geniuses as in have special born powers called Alices. Mikan gets accepted with her newly found nullification (protection, restraining other Alices) Alice and meets with her friend Hotaru, who holds the Alice of invention.

During her stay, Mikan met a lot of other Alice students, like any other people would do. There was Nonoko (Chemical Alice), Anna (Cooking Alice), Kokoro Yomi (Mind Reading Alice), Yuu Tobita/Iinchou (Illusion Alice), Sumire "Permy" Shouda (Cat/Dog Alice), Tsubasa-senpai Andou (Shadow Manipulation Alice), Misaki-senpai (Doppleganger Alice), Tonouchi "Tono-senpai" Akira (Amplifying Alice), Ruka Nogi (Animal Pheremone (control) Alice) and Natsume Hyuuga (Fire Alice).
I found that the characters reminded me of good old "Kodocha", or "Kodomo No Omocha". Natsume being cold, Ruka being very close and has a crush on the main characters, Mikan being very bright and all over the place. I wouldn't say the characters' personalities are very original, but what shojo manga doesn't have those kinds of main characters?

Higuchi Tachibana's style of manga is beautiful. Undeniably amazing and I personally think it's quite unique and recognisable. The only flaw I found in her drawings were that the arms/legs/ears were quite small. Maybe it's because the main characters are ten years old, but it always bothered me to see such attractive pictures having such small attachments.

It's a comedy/romance manga series with a twist of supernatural. Of course it's school life, considering that it's all about these special kids in a boarding school that locks the whole world out! At the beginning of the story, it's very silly and it's very refreshing and nice to read. But there's always that twinge of seriousness somewhere, weeved in inside the happiness with the teachers. As the manga goes on, it becomes more serious with bigger problems and events. Basically, I'd say it gets very dramatic. It's a wonderful manga to read!!

Overall, I'd say that Gakuen Alice/Alice Academy is pretty much the whole shojo package. It's my favorite manga and I would give up manga things to have it. I'm serious. It's that good. Well, maybe it's just personal preferances, but it's still an amazing manga and I'd recomend it to anygirl who thinks that there's always another world. ;D

No Subject by wateva on October 20th, 2007, 7:45am Rating: 4

this manga is nice... but it gets a bit depressing afterwards?? with natsume's past

will by MAN 558 on August 16th, 2007, 12:46pm Rating: 1

i see the manga it was funny

No Subject by kevinkgood on July 24th, 2007, 1:37pm Rating: 5

Thanks for the great review. Makes me want to read it now.