Have you ever paid for manga (or manhwa/manhua) or the ability to read it (physical or digital)?

Tenjou Tenge
by Cypher-Khan on September 15th, 2004, 11:40pm

Rating - 8 / 10.0

User rating of this review - 3.5 out of 5
Story/Plot - 4 out of 5
Drawing Style - 5 out of 5
Overall - 4 out of 5

Plot/Story

School is a fighting paradise. At least, that’s what Bob Makihara and Nagi Souichirou believed when they first enrolled in Toudou Gakuen.

Within the first chapter these two set about taking over the school and placing it under the rule of the Knuckle Bombs. Unfortunately, due to their abilities and the fact that they were the strongest in thier previous school they failed to anticipate the presance of superior fighters... in a biiig way.

This is where the Juukenbuu come in. Led by the beautiful Natsume Maya the Juukenbuu is one of the schools fighting clubs. Its other active member is Takayanagi Masataka. Maya steps in to resolve the conflict caused by Nagi and Bob by promptly thrashing Nagi (one hit... thanks for playing Nagi).

Thus Nagi is "introduced" (if you call crashing thru the roof and landing on someone an introduction) to the Juukenbuu's newest member; Natsume Aya.

Tenjou Tenge is a story about the events from that point on.

Characters

Interesting characters, each with their own unique personalities.

Nagi Souichirou; he's the lead. He carries the blood of a daemon exorcist and is capable of manifesting his powers to such a degree that he triggers an appearance change.

Bob Makihara; Half African-American, half Japanese. Bob is a fairly unique character considering the norm for manga. He is very black... no two ways about it. His fighting style is Caporeia, a Brazilian martial art that focuses on the legs.

Natsume Maya; Totally hot, reasonably strong, and the leader of the Juukenbuu. She’s sort of like the "older sister" character in Tenjou, however, in the past arc we see her as the "younger sister" which provides us with a different perspective on her character

Natsume Aya; Like her sister... very attractive (Oh! Great [the mangaka] doesn’t draw ugly women). Posses the innate ability of Dragon's Eye. A powerful skill that shows the enemies movements before they occur.

Natsume Shin; The older brother of the Natsume sisters. Like Aya he also possesses the Dragon's Eye. Unlike Aya, it manifested in a different way. Shin has a tragic story, and those never end well.

Takayanagi Masataka; The comic relief... with a difference. Masataka kicks ass, and is popular with the girls. His martial arts are top rate and he is a master of the Mental Universe.

Takayanagi Mitsuomi; Caught up in Natsume Shin's trauma, Mitsumoi has been deeply affected. He possesses extraordinary power, but it comes at the price of his life.

Oh! Greats works are all very well drawn; and, when you hear the name Oh! Great you can make a few assumptions... namely

"Breasts"
"Panties"

This probably isnt the best for the manga. Tenjou is an great manga to read but the overpowering amounts of sex and fanservice mean you cant really show it to other people and have them not immediately think "pervert"

Still, excellent art, battle sequences that surpass anything else Ive seen. Oh! Great is indeed Great.

Enjoyment

Tenjou is a manga too be enjoyed. You can either read it for the fanservice and great fights.

Or pay attention to the convoluted yet entertaining story.

(or both)

Overall

Worth the purchase. Tenjou looks good on the bookshelf. Nice covers and spines. I’ll recommend it too guys, but I do know one girl who was game enough to read it. So hell, check it out... if you don’t like it by volume 3 then give up. But be warned... you will miss out on Shin (and I advise against that.)

Story by gungie on August 21st, 2007, 7:19pm Rating: 4

I like this manga. The drawing style is really good. I bought myself few volumes. the story getting really annoyed toward the end. I really didnt get it. But other than that its great. Fights and beautiful girls, what else you need.

overrated by kamasutra69 on July 7th, 2007, 9:08am Rating: 3

hmm. this manga has a lot of annoying characters.
tenjou .. just for fans. nothing special
you got the wrong idea man.