Do you read the extras / omake in manga?
Always

Story/Plot - 5 out of 5
Drawing Style - 4 out of 5
Overall - 5 out of 5

Plot/Story
Talented and handsome piano teacher Goshima Masayuki is now faced with the biggest shock in his life: Ogawa Kae, a piano student he's taught for 5 years, had suddenly kissed him during one of their lessons. "Is she really that little girl from 5 years ago?" Goshima finds himself deeply perplexed as he must start dealing with this teacher-student relationship all of a sudden. Has he realized that the same girl will eventually become the woman of his life?

Characters
Oh wow, this is one of those shoujo mangas where you find the coolest male characters as well as the most attractive female characters. Nobody can surpass Goshima's sarcasm in my opinion, and you just can't find a girl like Kae with such doll-like looks yet a super stubborn personality. Even though it's a manga filled with charismatic casts, you won't find them as "superhumangs" at all because they're all drawn in a realistic and practical way. This series also has one of the best character developments I've seen in shoujo mangas, and there's no stupidity or extreme foolishness involved with any of the characters even though there are plenty of comical aspects to it.

This is a hard one to place an opinion on. If you're used to the usual shoujo styles - i.e. big eyes with sparkles - you might find this series to be a whole-new experience. I found the drawings in Kiss very elegant and I dare say that the style of manga can be well-perceived by both shoujo manga and shounen manga readers. You can hardly tell it's a manga drawn by a newbie mangaka, either!

Enjoyment
Very enjoyable. If you think the usual plot of a teacher-student relationship is boring, this series will totally change your opinion. I was not very sure if shounen manga readers would like this manga at first, yet from all the readers comments I've got, I'd say that this manga is a success, at least in the enjoyment category.

Overall
One of the best romance work I've read in years. Matsumoto Tomo is definitely somebody to keep an eye on and Kiss really made a difference in the shoujo manga world by setting itself apart from the normal "crazy + lovie-dovie" shoujo works.

No Subject by sunflower on November 23rd, 2008, 7:17am Rating: 4.5

Nice review, though a link to the manga or author page would be helpful. smile

Completely agree by myownself on March 8th, 2007, 11:30pm Rating: 5

I love this series, and your review hit all the major points. The newer chapters are even better, with a couple more great characters, especially her uncle, who plays the perfect counter to her teacher.

Intriguing. by jjguo28 on March 5th, 2007, 4:17pm Rating: 5

Your review definitely makes me want to read this, especially with the sarcastic teacher.