For background art in manga, you prefer...
Lots of detail
An average amount of detail
Very little detail
Sparkles and patterns that fit the mood is just fine
I don't really pay attention to the backgrounds
I don't care

Akumetsu
by dantd95 on May 24th, 2012, 8:03am

Rating - 7.8 / 10.0

User rating of this review - N/A out of 5
Story/Plot - 3.5 out of 5
Drawing Style - 4 out of 5
Overall - 4 out of 5

DISCLAIMER : I apologize for any mistakes on my writing, especially grammatical, because i am not a native English speaker.

Plot/Story
The plot actually looked pretty simple but unique : 'Akumetsu' sets out to repair all the corruption in the Japanese bureaucracy by doing a "One man, one kill" terrorism. And indeed, although there are antagonists presented in the story, the 'Akumetsu' used every way possible to kill them one by one almost at will. The story has its own twists, especially about the identity and nature of 'Akumetsu' himself, but for many parts of the story you just see 'Akumetsu' rushing all the way, beating all of the obstacles along the way with literally no one to stop him. The question is more about 'What will he do next?' rather than 'Can he get out of this trouble?'

The story is also very patriotic, and i can see why because the Japanese were in that kind of recession during the turn of the century. However, by the time I reached the middle part of the story, I found it to be preachy and kind of self righteous. This manga has a clear point in differentiating two sides of a coin and is pretty much a 'black vs white' though i really wanted a more gray approach to make it at least a bit more realistic.

On the other side, though, the story can also get deep, especially during the flashback explaining the protagonist's past and it is a good change of pace from the usually fast-paced nature of the story. And the ending is also good and memorable, kind of amending the pretty boring middle part of the story (other than the flashbacks).

Characters
Protagonists : Good. They get as much limelight as possible regarding their backgrounds, their past, why they want to do A, why they want to do B, and such. Both the 'Akumetsu' and also the other protagonists are portrayed as almost 100% good and that they do bad things only because it is their only option.

Antagonists : Bad. Most of them are 100% bad. The bureaucrats, the Akumetsu wannabes, and the corrupt policemen mostly do not have a character development even to the most simple of it. They're mostly portrayed as greedy and aside from the art, on the core they behaved like a single personality in many bodies. It's really black vs white and that's what i don't like.

The art's pretty good for me, the Akumetsu mask is really good and fits the image of 'Devil' or rather 'God of Death' punishing the antagonists. The violence is also well-portrayed to the point that i mistaked this for a seinen manga, while in reality it is good ol' shounen. The characters are good and pretty realistic (though sometimes i don't like the expressions on their faces) and the backgrounds are also well-drawn.

Enjoyment
Despite the flaws of the story and the characters, i found this to be really enjoyable. The way that those gritty violence and dark concept can be presented with such a comical tone is really fascinating, and even though i dislike how the antagonists are portrayed, i still find it amusing when 'Akumetsu' finished them off through various, mostly bizarre, ways. It's almost like a guilty pleasure to me.

Overall
Overall, despite the flaws earlier mentioned, this is still pretty solid and very amusing. I recommend this to everyone, especially those looking a good manga with a unique concept, if you can get over those preachy parts.

-Dan T.D.

There are no comments/ratings of this review.