For background art in manga, you prefer...
Lots of detail
An average amount of detail
Very little detail
Sparkles and patterns that fit the mood is just fine
I don't really pay attention to the backgrounds
I don't care

The Prince of Tennis
by GatoGirl 12345 on October 5th, 2005, 9:17am

Rating - 9.2 / 10.0

User rating of this review - 5 out of 5
Story/Plot - 4.5 out of 5
Drawing Style - 4.5 out of 5
Enjoyment - 4.5 out of 5
Overall - 4.5 out of 5

Usually I don't review with points but here it is.

Plot/Story
The only thing that can be a problem with this is that The Prince of Tennis can feel boring after a while but that depends on who you are. If you can't stay there watching game after game, it maybe isn't for you. However, there is still a story to tell through the games. The main point is how the Prince, Ryoma, becomes the best of the best but many times the story shifts away from the classic, "I want to be the best...." Even all the supporting characters has a story as well even if its the main team, Seigaku, or a 'who are you' team like Midoriyama or Yamabuki. There ia also a funny factor in it where the characters are placed in very nutty situations.

Characters
The characters are the best. Take any 72+ characters, put them in a bundle and you can never say that a pair is completely alike. Every single person is unique and fairly realistic. You have the stoic Tezuka, the stylish Atobe, the rebel Akutsu, the calculating Mizuki..., do I have to go onconfused

The drawing style is wow. I just love it. Well, the author is really careful with detail and enjoys placing brand names to give you more realism. In the beginning, the art was so-so (just for the characters) but that was because the author was getting used to it. Now, at volume 30, it is done real well.

Enjoyment
I just loved this story and since it can be highly addictive, it actually got, I believe, a few hundred thousands of people the play. Also that the fact that it expanded to a radio show, anime, music, etc. It just grabs even more viewers.

Overall
It is an excellent fast-paced sports manga and it is probably hard to find another one this good.

No Subject by Martín on December 19th, 2005, 6:48pm Rating: 5

The anime is marvelous and the manga is awsome!

No Subject by John on December 5th, 2005, 11:26am Rating: 5

Know this is supposed to be the manga section but I cant help myself. Watched the anime all 178 eps. Really good story. If you have played tennis irl then this serie will definetly be in your heart. Just as GatoGirl points out, the characters are what make this serie so good. Well, I hope there will be more in the future and that they will start to sell the manga in my country ^^