banner_jpg
Username:     Password:      
Forums

Wrong character encoding for JP text?

You must be registered to post!
From User
Message Body
Post #780275
user avatar
Member

3:41 pm, Sep 16 2020
Posts: 7


I've noticed this before but as I just wanted to copy the japanese name of Drifting Dragons (https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=135805) into the search engine on a japanese website, I was greeted with no search results. Afterwards I tried looking for the japanese name on another website and tried copying it into said search engine again. This time I got results.
However there's no apparent difference between the two names so I think there's just something wrong with it's coding.
Copying the JP name both from here and from another website into Notepad++ will also result in some weird looking characters for the text copied from MU.
Upon further searching it seems to be a problem with the katakana symbols.

This seems to be a new bug introduced some weeks or months ago.

Post #780277
user avatar


5:36 pm, Sep 16 2020
Posts: 9773


Do you have more information? Like the exact search engine you were using that yield no search results. And where you copied from that ended up getting results in the same search engine

________________
A just ruler amongst tyrants
Post #780278
user avatar
Member

5:49 pm, Sep 16 2020
Posts: 7


Try bookwalker.jp
Also just try pasting the text into notepad or any other text program on your pc and you should see there's something wrong with the katakana symbols. https://i.imgur.com/p177BlC.jpg

Post #780283 - Reply to (#780278) by DarkDooM
user avatar


8:01 pm, Sep 16 2020
Posts: 2343


This should be fixed. We were encoding using NFD instead of NFC. I switched us over, and did a quick conversion of the database. Let me know if you have any issues.

Post #780284
user avatar
Member

8:27 pm, Sep 16 2020
Posts: 7


Seems to be fine now, thank you.

You must be registered to post!