Login to add items to your list, keep track of your progress, and rate series!
Series of 5 oneshots:
1) Natsu Jikan A boy goes to meet a stranger after his mother died. The mother left a lot of love-letters to this man...
2) Torrid Night After years have past Takaaki has returned to his childhood home and his stepbrother Nozomi. They are the only family they have left, and both hold secrets from the past that can destroy them. But the dark passion they feel is dangerous too...
3-4) That's What God Says & Sweet Little Devil Izumi and Tetsuya are neighbors, both with very similar problems. Does one's appearance really determine who you are or how you should be? Were these neighbors fated to be together?
5) The Sleeping Man Naoki and Tatsuya were high school classmates and close friends, with Tatsuya having the task of waking up his ever sleeping friend. They agreed to meet at the dawn of the new millennium, and though they both show up, there's something off....
You must login to comment for this series! Register an account.
1. Natsu Jikan there was something definitely missing in the first story, or a couple of things, actually. A proper explanation to any sort of event is one; a more substantial development makes two. Maybe something got lost in translation? It unfolds rather poorly in my opinion.
2. Torrid Night could have been better but still, I enjoyed it better than the rest. Brotherly love (between stepbrothers in this case) is a not-so-guilty pleasure of mine. The obsessive aspect of their love and their camouflaged dementia were a great plus, though I still wish the characters had been more (better) fleshed out.
3. That's What God Says & Sweet Little Devil was very mild, but certainly they make up the light-hearted side of this collection. Not my cup of tea personally but I invite anyone to read it anyway.
4. The Sleeping Man is arguably the best, but it is not so exquisitely done that would move me to tears. I felt that the plot twist was presented in a very half-assed way to be honest, and it kind of spoiled the *fun* for me. I liked the fact that it was, to a point, very innocent and warm and yet it retains some of the more dark and melancholy aspects of the whole compilation without overdoing them too much. Still, that plot twist... should have been better. Entertaining though.
The art is lovely throughout.
The fifth story....
That one really turned on the waterworks. Don't read it if you need to talk to anyone for a half hour after. I think it hit me more because I didn't see the tragedy tag. I haven't cried like that after reading a comic in a LOOOOONG time. Oh geez, if I was the lead, I don't know how I'd be able to live with myself after what happened.
The other stories were nice, first two were a little strange...
Beautiful and haunting
I read the last 3 stories separately many years ago but I decided to re-read them all together as volume.
It is the first time I read the title story and though I liked it but it was not as good as the other three. The sex aspect was a bit too sudden but the ending was bittersweet and tantalizing. The cover art on it is amazing all the same!
The second story was great as a re-read. THIS is how you do dark and twisted! The ending for this was perfect. It would have been very hard for me to accept a HEA for this, so what Kunieda did was very fitting.
The third story was funny and cute. A much needed comedic break between the previous story and the one to follow...
The fourth one... ah the fourth one! This story has stuck with me for so long. I love it to bits. Tragic, funny, and written so well. I tear up every time. Kunieda is truly the queen of oneshots! (Though Bannin beats this one in my heart just slightly....) :' )
Overall, these oneshots hold up so greatly even after 5+ years!
Story one 2/5 I didn't find it interesting at all... I mean, why'd he had to sleep with him anyways? I don't see how that would've solved anything. Idk, it wasn't interesting and didn't connect well.
Sorry two 4/5 I liked it, angst is my favorite cup of yaoi and two had it down. But I kind of wished for a continue or other ending. I can care less that it almost had a pinch if incest to it. It is still a good read though. Had some twists in there.
Story three and four 3/5 It came as a pack so I'll grade it as a pack. It was funny and cute. But that's all. I didn't feel much love nor real connection with the characters but hey I'm sure it was more for the humor so I'm going to rate with that in my mind. But I do hafta say it would've been interested to see them in bed. XD
Story five 5/5 Two words. Almost cried. It was breathtaking in a way. It had character, I mean I connected with one of them, cause hell I sure can sleep a lot too hehehe. And the ending had a bittersweet touch to it. Reading it one more time just makes it all the more sadder.
... Last updated on February 11th, 2014, 2:59am
I can only agree with the previous comments. The Sleeping Man was the best story in this book. But the first and second were also very good. I didn't care too much for the chapters 3-4, but they were funny and entertaining. Overall I thought this was a great read. I enjoyed it a lot!
... Last updated on December 16th, 2011, 4:13pm
5th story - Sleeping man..
It was the second story from all mangas that after I finished it reading tears appeared in my eyes and I was frozen for a while.. I was touched to the deepest point of my heart. For a while I couldn't think anythig else but that story.
Thank you Kunieda-sensei for this moment of painful but beautiful emotions I felt due to such touching story..
Hello, non-standard yaoi.
Dear angsty writers and mangaka,
please read this book if you really, really want to do angsty yaoi manga. (Not the 3rd & 4th chapter, but eeeh, it's a good read.)
See the execution here. The way Kunieda-sensei keeps placing the story into a very down-to-earth, slow pace. Very Japanese, and very poignant. Nothing done too much, nothing done too less, it's all smooth and yet very, very depressing at the same time.
have only read the 5th story, the sleeping man and was skimming at first but the twist was a tear jerker. reread it and tears in my eyes in the end. so sad. definately one of the best oneshot i've read ever but i've enjoyed most of this author work anyway.
not sure what to make of this one...
It was really hard to rate this manga because the stories varied so much. Story 1 didn't cut it for me. Story 2 was a little disturbing. Story 3 & 4 were a bit too crazy for me. Story 5 was the best one out of the bunch.
I really didn't care much about story 1 and 2, it's ok but not really the ones i would like. I thing that struck me was story 3 and 4, two opposite stories. The 3rd story was hilarious and just WOW. The 4th story is just sad =( but great.