Login to add items to your list, keep track of your progress, and rate series!
Compilation of short stories:
• Hotel: Since 2079 (2006) It is the year 2272 A.D.
A computer continues to live on in order to complete a mission in a world where all life, including Mankind, has gone extinct. This is a record of those 27 million years of its heroic struggle.
• Present (2006) Hanako suffers from a terrible disease. After awakening from a deep slumber, Hanako has only three days to live.
• Subete wa Maguro no Tame datta (It Was All for the Tuna) (2008) Tuna have become extinct and Jun Shiozaki will do everything possible and imaginable to bring them back.
• Stephanos Set in modern-day Japan, our main character Noriko finds out that she is pregnant with her lover Matsumura’s baby. He, however, is an important doctor with a family and everything already. Noriko wants to have the baby, but Matsumura says that it’s actually a rapidly growing cancer and that they have to remove it immediately. It might also be neither of these things…
• Diadem A "Diadem" is a word for 'crown' that has its root in Greek. "Stephanos", which appeared in "Mandala" 01, was also a 'crown'. It seems that we could consider this the second work in a continuing series of shorts that should perhaps be called a "Crown series".
You must login to comment for this series! Register an account.
27 million years is a long time.
i really didn't get the impression that the mangaka was trying to force global warming down my throat. i felt that it was more of a story about the struggle for life, remembrance and the long loneliness of a seemingly endless wait for change. Louis exhibited a touch of humanity himself which, though subtly expressed, made his character rather endearing.
rather than being preachy i think the mangaka just needed any excuse to wipe out the planet.
Simply put, phenomenal piece of work. its a must read
Greatest oneshot in history
I think that a lot of people are getting the focus of this manga completely wrong. It isn't about global warming or humanity dooming itself. That's just the background for the story. It's about Louis and his achievement. It's about the miracle of his survival. It's about the Hotel and what it represents: the fufillment of a 27 million year old promise
How you read it ....
Reading the earlier comments about the global warming message - I get the feeling those readers may have completely missed the story of the "person" who against all odds, over an unimaginable period of time, stayed unwaveringly true to the memory of it's most important people in "his" life. I rarely give 10 ratings, but this definitely deserves it.
... Last updated on November 2nd, 2008, 12:25am
Some of you people are too serious. Propaganda my ass. Global warming wasn't the main message in the story. yblees summed it up. Imo, for a one shot, it drew emotion, it provoked thought, it delivered. Nuff said.
That was great!
I wasn't expecting much from this oneshot but when i started reading it i felt that the author made a great story. I recommend that fans of sci-fi manga read it.
Manga at its best.
This one-shot is brilliant. The artwork is beautiful, the story tight and compelling. It also carries an important message - and is truly touching, as well. Sci-fi at its best, as well as manga at its best. A brilliant work.
a touching story of reminiscence and struggle against mortality
louis' emotional struggle for survival, existence and recognition was a very realistic journey to attain humanity. his continuous need to "repair" himself and "become smarter" was very metaphoric, because we, humans, spend so much time chasing perfection,security and other far-fetched ideals but in the end we discover that we never gain anything out of doing this; infact, louis' increase in intelligence made him more aware of his emotions. this is a story about our eternal struggle to be remembered, the eternal struggle of finding your place in society. the eternal struggle against loneliness and finding our "purpose" in life.
old school Sci-Fi
This story reminds me a lot of old school 60s Asmiov kind of Science Fiction. Nice Short Story with a short epic tale of human demise. For everybody who likes the kind of sci fi that lacks all action + boobs +monsters but with a portion of thought, i highly recommend
1st story - 8.9/10 the best 2nd - 8.5/10 sad, but alright 3rd - 7/10 ridiculous and absurd, but lots of comedy 4th & 5th - 2/10 extremely weird, ecchi stories that made no sense to me
There is a huge difference in quality between the first two oneshots and the last two