What sexist trope in manga bothers you the most?
Patronizing "but you're a girl!" statement
Objectification
Falling in love with their rapist
"All women are..."
Sexual assault/rape portrayed as a joke
Harassment is okay because she's "playing hard to get"
Damsel in distress
Girl solely exists to be a love interest
Jealous, vain, and/or cruel fangirls
Madonna/whore dichotomy
What? Sexism still exists?

Bakuman

Characters - 3.7 out of 5
Drawing Style - 5 out of 5
Overall - 5 out of 5

Plot/Story

Mashiro Moritaka (AKA Saiko) is a boy who didn't have anything planned for his future. All he wanted to do, was lead a normal life. He never expected to lead the life of a mangaka, now did he? Once he met Takagi Akito (AKA Shujin), he was persuaded into working with him and becoming Mangaka together. A big reason for his participation, may be that he asked the girl he liked, to marry him once their manga turns into an anime. After she accepted the invitation, he tries his best to work with 'Shujin' and become a famous Mangaka. From there, they began their new life in trying to be mangaka. Surely an original plot.

Characters

These characters, in my opinion, seem like they could almost be real. Perhaps that's just because of the very realistic setting of the story? It doesn't seem that there are many characters, but surprisingly, all of the characters can easily keep the story smooth and interesting. Of course, I must admit that - because of someone like me being used to colorful shonen manga - the characters seem to lack something sometimes. But of course, doesn't that mean that they did a good job in making sure that the characters were as real as possible? I think so. Very good.

The drawing style of Takeshi Obata is more realistic than other manga and anime I've seen and read. I was definitely impressed. The drawing style is clean, and in my opinion, original. I give it a 5/5.

Enjoyment

With all of the realistic characters, the life in japan, and of course being able to see the life of a mangaka, enjoying this manga isn't hard. Every single time that I start to get a little bored with where the story is going, I end up getting sprung up and excited again after turning a few more pages. 5/5

Overall

This manga is one of the best manga I've read so far. I enjoy the originality of the plot, the reality of the characters, the amazing art, and the entertainment overall. For a lot of people, this manga can seem boring, or uninteresting. A lot of people start getting bored with the plot pretty easily. Of course I love it. I really enjoy seeing what a mangaka goes through. So therefor, my overall rating is 5/5.

No Subject by Cococrash11 on December 16th, 2010, 3:48pm Rating: 5

I thought the characters had a 5. I mean since it does look relastic and had an intersting appeal. But I think overall 5/5 is good.

^_^ by ichigo_daisuki on December 4th, 2010, 9:37pm Rating: 4

This was a solid review. You're really critical about the characters though; but, I can understand it's all in one's perception.